animal husbandry paper 2019: UPSC Mains optional paper-I
- Based on latest Pattern
- English Medium eBooks
Civil Services Mains Exam: Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science Paper-1 (2019)
In this post, we will discuss Civil services mains optional animal husbandry and veterinary science 2019 previous year question paper.
Marks- 250 Time: Three Hours
Question Paper Specific Instructions:
Please read each of the following instructions carefully before attempting questions.
- There are EIGHT questions divided into two sections.
- A candidate has to attempt FIVE questions in all.
- Questions no 1 and 5 are compulsory and out of the remaining, THREE are to be attempted choosing at least ONE from each section.
- The number of marks carried by a question /part is indicated against it.
- Word limit in questions, wherever specified should be adhered to.
- Attempts of questions shall be counted in chronological order. Unless struck off, an attempt of a question shall be counted even if attempted partly. Any page or portion of the page left blank in the answer book must be clearly struck off.
1. Answer the following questions in about 150 words each: 10x5=50 marks
(a) Describe the methods to determine the energy requirements for maintenance in adult animals. 10 marks
(b) Why is a dairy plan required before starting a dairy enterprise? Explain various steps involved in planning. 10 marks
(c) Explain recombinant DNA technology along with its uses. 10 marks
(d) Define true anoestrus in a cow with characteristics of ovary and narrate the strategic approach to manage it. 10 marks
(e) A radiolabelled substance was injected in vein of right forelimb of a cow and later it was detected in the artery of left forelimb. Illustrate its pathway through line diagram only. 10 marks
2. (a) Why is raising of lambs important? Explain good lamb-raising practices for profitable mutton production. 15 marks
(b) What do you mean by acid-base balance? Explain how it is regulated by kidney. 15 marks
(c) Describe different methods of hay-making. What are the nutrient losses occurred during hay-making and how to prevent these losses? 20 marks
3. (a) Describe the strategies for feeding of high-yielding dairy animals during different stages of lactation. 20 marks
(b) Explain the care and managemental practices to be taken up during pregnancy and farrowing in sow. What care needs to be taken to improve survival rate of piglets born? 20 marks
(c) Describe the reflex stimulation of letdown of milk in dairy animals along with diagram. 10 marks
4. (a) Discuss the significance of semen quality and enlist the associated tests for its evaluation. Write down the 'cervical mucus penetration test' in detail. 20 marks
(b) Explain various sources of variation in the population. Write down the implications of variation (componentwise). 15 marks
(c) List out various sheep development programmes taken up in India. What are the constraints in implementation of these programmes and how to overcome them? 15 marks
5.Answer the following questions in about 150 words each: 10x5=50 marks
(a) Explain the factors affecting efficient utilization of non-protein nitrogen (NPN) compounds in ruminants' diet. 10 marks
(b) Enlist various hormones secreted by different reproductive organs (male and female). Write their nature, source and main functions. 10 marks
(c) Explain how the following farm production records are standardized: 10 marks
(ii) Correction of age
(iii) Lactation length
(iv) Correction for frequency of milking
(d) Explain the principles of extension education in India 10 marks
(e) Explain the experiences of crossbreeding programme of dairy cattle in India. 10 marks
6. (a) Explain the formation and structure of various components of chicken egg. List out various abnormalities in egg formation. 15 marks
(b) Enlist the properties of ideal dilutor used for deep-freezing of bull semen with composition of TRIS dilutor used for the same purpose. 15 marks
(c) Classify the minerals and explain the role of calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D in bone formation. 20 marks
7. (a) Enlist various accessary sex glands of bull and describe the contribution of seminal vesicle to semen. 15 marks
(b) Explain the feeding of adult rabbits. How is dietary fiber utilized in rabbits? 15 marks
(c) What is breeding efficiency and how can it be measured? 20 marks
8. (a) Calculate the dilution factor and volume of dilutor from the given information: 15 marks
(i) Ejaculate volume-5 ml
(ii) Progressive sperm motility-80%
(iii) Sperm concentration-1000 x 10°/ml
(iv) Use of mini French straw for semen freezing
(b) What is heritability? Explain the salient features of heritability along with its uses. 15 marks
(c) Write short notes on the following: 5x4=20 marks
(i) Biological value
(ii) Feeding of breeding boars
(iii) Essential Amino Acids Index (EAAI)
(iv) Use of indicators for digestibility determination