UPSC MAINS 2020 GENERAL STUDIES PAPER - 2
- Based on latest Pattern
- English Medium eBooks
UPSC MAINS 2020 GENERAL STUDIES PAPER - 2
Question paper specific instructions:
Please read all the following instructions before attempting the question paper.
There are 20 questions printed in both Hindi and English language.
All questions are mandatory.
The number of marks carried by each part/ question is indicated in front of it.
Answers to questions no. 1 to 10 should be in 150 words, whereas answers to questions no. 11 to 20 should be in 250 words.
- There is a need for simplification of procedure for disqualification of persons found guilty of corrupt practices under the “Representation of peoples Act”. Comment. (Answer in 150 words). 10
- “Recent amendments to the right to information Act will have a profound impact on the autonomy and independence of the commission”. Discuss (Answer in 150 words). 10
- How far do you think cooperation, competition, and confrontation have shaped the nature of the federation in India? Cite some recent examples to validate your answer. (Answer in 150 words). 10
- The judicial systems in India and the UK seem to be converging as well as diverging in recent times. Highlight the key points of convergence and divergence between both the nations in terms of their judicial practices. (Answer in 150 words).10
- ‘Once a speaker, always a speaker’! Do you think this practice should be adopted to impart objectivity to the office of the speaker of Lok Sabha? What could be its implications in the robust functioning of parliamentary business in India? (Answer in 150 words). 10
- In order to enhance the prospects of social development, sound and adequate health care policies are needed particularly in the fields of geriatric and maternal health care. Discuss. (Answer in 150 words). 10
- “Institutional quality is a crucial driver of economic performance”. In this context suggest reforms in Civil Services for strengthening democracy. (Answer in 150 words). 10
- The emergence of the Fourth Industrial Revolution (Digital Revolution) has initiated e-Governance as an integral part of the government”. Discuss. (Answer in 150 words). 10
- Critically examine the role of WHO in providing global health security during the Covid-19 pandemic. (Answer in 150 words). 10
- ‘Indian diaspora has a decisive role to play in the politics and economy of America and European Countries’. Comment with examples. (Answer in 150 words). 10
- Indian Constitution exhibits centralizing tendencies to maintain unity and integrity of the nation. Elucidate in the perspective of the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897; The Disaster Management Act, 2005, and recently passed farm acts. (Answer in 250 words). 15
- Judicial Legislation is antithetical to the doctrine of separation of powers as envisaged in the Indian Constitution. In this context justify the filing of a large number of public interest petitions praying for issuing guidelines to executive authorities. (Answer in 250 words). 15
- The strength sustenance of local institutions in India has shifted from their formative phase of ‘Functions, Functionaries and Funs’ to the contemporary stage of ‘Functionality’. Highlight the critical challenges faced by local institutions in terms of their functionality in recent times. (Answer in 250 words) 15
- Rajya Sabha has been transformed from a ‘useless Stepney tyre’ to the most useful supporting organ in the past few decades. Highlight the factors as well as the areas in which this transformation could be visible. (Answer in 250 words) 15.
- Which steps are required for the constitutionalization of a commission? Do you think imparting constitutionality to the National Commission for Women would ensure greater gender justice and empowerment in India? Give reasons. (Answer in 250 words). 15
- ‘The incidence and intensity of poverty are more important in determining poverty based on income alone’. In this context analyze the latest United Nations Multidimensional Poverty Index Report. (Answer in 250 words). 15
- “Micro-Finance as an anti-poverty vaccine is aimed at asset creation and income security of the rural poor in India “. Evaluate the role of Self-Help Groups in achieving the twin objectives along with empowering women in rural India. (Answer in 250 words). 15
- National Education Policy 2020 is in conformity with the Sustainable Development Goal - 4 (2030). It intends to restructure and reorient the education system in India. Critically examine the statement. (Answer in 250 words). 15
- ‘Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (QUAD)’ is transforming itself into a trade bloc from a military alliance, in present times - Discuss. (Answer in 250 words). 15
- What is the significance of Indo-US defence deals over Indo-Russian defence deals? Discuss with reference to stability in the Indo-Pacific region. (Answer in 250 words) 15
UPSC Mains GS - 2 paper was held in the second shift on 9th January 2021.
The maximum weightage was of Polity and Governance with 11 questions. This section had questions from the current topics, like National Education Policy, and from the static part, for e.g. reforms in civil services, Representation of peoples Act, as well. These questions were lengthy to answer.
There were 4 questions from International relations and 5 questions from topics related to social justice and welfare.
Many questions required analytical thinking as these questions demanded the current perspective from the aspirants.
The overall paper was moderately difficult and lengthy.