UPSC IAS Mains: General Studies (GS) Paper-I (2018)
- Based on latest Pattern
- English Medium eBooks
Marks- 250 Time: Three Hours
QUESTION PAPER SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS:
Please read each of the following instructions carefully before attempting questions.
- All questions are to be attempted.
- The number of marks carried by a question is indicated against it.
- Answers must be written in ENGLISH only.
- Word limit in questions, wherever specified, should be adhered to and if answered in much longer or shorter than the prescribed length, marks will be deducted.
- Any page or portion of the page left blank in the Question-cum-Answer Booklet must be clearly struck off.
1. Safeguarding the Indian art heritage is the need of the moment. Discuss. (Answer in 150 words) 10 Marks
2. Assess the importance of the accounts of the Chinese and Arab travelers in the reconstruction of the history of India. (Answer in 150 words) 10 Marks
3. Throw light on the significance of the thoughts of Mahatma Gandhi in the present times. (Answer in 150)10 Marks
4. Why is Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System (IRNSS) needed ? How does it help in navigation? (Answer in 150 words)10 Marks
5. Why is India taking keen interest in resources of Arctic Region? (Answer in 150 words)10 Marks
6. Define mantle plume and explain its role in plate tectonics. (Answer in 150 words)10 Marks
7. What are the consequences of spreading of 'Dead Zones' on marine ecosystem? (Answer in 150 words) 10 Marks
8. “Caste system is assuming new identities and associational forms. Hence, caste system cannot be eradicated in India.” Comment. (Answer in 150 words) 10 Marks
9. ‘Despite implementation of various programmes for eradication of poverty by the government in India, poverty is still existing.' Explain by giving reasons. (Answer in 150 words)10 Marks
10. How the Indian concept of secularism is different from the western model of secularism? Discuss. (Answer in 150 words)10 Marks
11. The Bhakti movement received a remarkable re-orientation with the advent of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Discuss. (Answer in 250 words) 15 Marks
12. Discuss whether formation of new states in recent times is beneficial or not for the economy of India. (Answer in 250 words) 15 Marks
13. Why indentured labour was taken by the British from India to other colonies? Have they been able to preserve their cultural identity over there? (Answer in 250 words) 15 Marks
14. “The ideal solution of depleting groundwater resources in India is water harvesting system. How can it be made effective in urban areas? (Answer in 250 words) 15 Marks
15. Defining blue revolution, explain the problems and strategies for pisciculture development in India. (Answer in 250 words) 15 Marks
16. What is the significance of Industrial Corridors in India? Identifying industrial corridors, explain their main characteristics. (Answer in 250 words) 15 Marks
17. Mention core strategies for the transformation of aspirational districts in India and explain the nature of convergence, collaboration and competition for its success. (Answer in 250 words) 15 Marks
18. "Women's movement in India has not addressed the issues of women of lower social strata. Substantiate your view. (Answer in 250 words) 15 Marks
19. "Globalization is generally said to promote cultural homogenization but cultural specificities appear to be strengthened in the Indian Society’ Elucidate. (Answer in 250 words) 15 Marks
20. ‘‘Communalism arises either due to power struggle or relative deprivation.’ Argue by giving suitable illustrations. (Answer in 250 words) 15 Marks