UPSC Geography Optional Question Paper: Geography 2019 Paper-II
- Based on latest Pattern
- English Medium eBooks
Civil Services IAS Mains Exam: Geography Optional Paper-2 (2019)
In this topic, we will talk about UPSC CSM 2019 geography optional paper-ii previous year question paper.
Marks-250 Time: Three Hours
Question Paper Specific Instructions:
Please read each of the following instructions carefully before attempting questions.
- There are EIGHT questions divided into two sections.
- A candidate has to attempt FIVE questions in all.
- Questions no 1 and 5 are compulsory and out of the remaining, THREE are to be attempted choosing at least ONE from each section.
- The number of marks carried by a question /part is indicated against it.
- Word limit in questions, wherever specified should be adhered to.
- Attempts of questions shall be counted in chronological order. Unless struck off, an attempt of a question shall be counted even if attempted partly. Any page or portion of the page left blank in the answer book must be clearly struck off.
Q.1 (a) On the outline map of India provided to you, mark the location of all of the following. Write in your QCA Booklet the significance of these locations, whether physical/commercial/economic/ecological/environmental/cultural, in not more than 30 words for each entry: 2x10=20 marks
(ii) River Beas
(vi) Kuldiha Wildlife Sanctuary
(ix) Barren Island
(x) Durgaduani creek
1. (b) Examine the major causes of groundwater depletion in India. 10 marks
1. (c) Why is the Indian Monsoon erratic in nature ? Explain. 10 marks
1. (d) Explain the significance of dry farming in drought-prone areas of India. 10 marks
2. (a) Correlate the agro-climatic zones with agro-ecological regions of India. 20 marks
2. (b) Critically analyze the role of multinational corporations in India's economic development with suitable examples. 15 marks
2. (c) Discuss how watershed management has become a tool in eradication of rural poverty in India. 15 marks
3. (a) Discuss the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and insecticides in agriculture and its impact on human health. 20 marks
3. (b) Examine ongoing space programmes of India and their implications for national security in future. 15 marks
3. (c) Discuss the rainfall pattern and correlate it with spatial distribution of natural vegetation in India. 15 marks
4. (a) Discuss the political aspects of Himalaya. Explain how it has affected geo-strategy, geopolitics, and regional consciousness of Indian federalism. 20 Marks
4. (b) Examine the development of information technology in India and its influence on work culture and society. 15 marks
4. (c) Explain the present status of age-structure and availability of workforce in India. 15 marks
Q.5 Answer the following questions in about 150 words each:
5. (a) Present the salient features of West flowing rivers of India. 10 marks
5. (b) Discuss the problems of wildlife conservation and management in India. 10 marks
5. (c) Correlate the price of land, vertical growth of cities and the growth of slums in large cities of India. 10 marks
5. (d) Assess the importance of foot-loose industries in the development of backward regions in India. 10 marks
5. (e) Examine the problems of Glacial Lake Outburst Flood (GLOF) in India. 10 marks
6. (a) "Intrabasins linkages of rivers are more feasible economically, socially and ecologically". Discuss with suitable examples from India. 20 marks
6. (b) Provide a reasoned account on emerging conurbations in India and explain with suitable examples the problems associated with it. 15 marks
6. (c) Explain the relevance of green tourism for sustainable development of mountain environment in India. 15 marks
7. (a) Analyse the role of interstate migration in regional disparity in India. 20 marks
7. (b) Give a reasoned account of high level of pollution in North Indian cities as compared to South Indian cities. 15 marks
7. (c) Analyse the incentive oriented programs for removing regional imbalances in socio-economic development of India. 15 marks
8. (a) With special reference to India examine the changes in the nature and patterns of international trade. Mention the major influencing factors. 20 marks
8. (b) Describe the altitudinal and spatial geo-environmental hazards in the Himalayas. 15 marks
8. (c) "India is emerging as global power in relation to Indian ocean realm." Elaborate. 15 marks