HPSC HCS Last Year Topic Wise Current Affairs: Sports Part-II
- Based on latest Pattern
- English Medium eBooks
HCS Last One Year Topic Wise Current Affairs: Sports Part-II
Haryana Civil Services Exam
CURRENT AFFAIRS YEARLY 2020
Last one-year Current Affairs For HCS Exam: Sports Part-II
1. Formula One Belgian Grand Prix 2020
- Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton (Great Britain) has won the Formula One Belgian Grand Prix 2020 in Belgium.
- This was his 5th win of the season.
- Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes-Finland) came second followed by Max Verstappen (Red Bull – Netherlands) at third place.
2. Tuscan Grand Prix -2020:: Lewis Hamilton has won the title of Tuscan Grand Prix -2020
- With this victory, he is just one title win behind Michael Schumacher's record.
- Red Bull driver Alexander Albon finished third,
- It was the first podium place of his career.
3. 1st player from the United States to join the Indian Premier League
- Fast bowler Ali Khan has become the first player from the United States to join the Indian Premier League after being included in the Kolkata Knight Riders squad.
- Khan comes into the IPL after winning the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) with the Trinbago Knight Riders -- run by the same parent company as the Kolkata Knight Riders -- who won all 12 matches to seal the title.
4. Poonam Khatri crowned Wushu World Championship
- Poonam Khatri, who won a silver medal at the Wushu World Championship, is now being upgraded to a gold medal.
- Her medal got upgraded after Iran’s Maryam Hashemi failed her dope test.
- Maryam won the gold medal in the Women’s Sanda event at this Championship last year in October.
- She defeated Poonam in the 75 kg category in the final which was held in China.
- Poonam is now the third Indian to win a gold in Wushu World Championship after Pooja Kadiyan (2017) and Praveen
5. Neetu David as the chairman of the women’s national selection panel.
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has named Neetu David as the chairman of the women’s national selection panel.
- She will be joined by four other former Indian internationals - Arati Vaidya, Renu Margrate, Venkatacher Kalpana, and Mithu Mukherjee.
- The applications were invited in January this year after all the members of the previous committee - headed by Hemalatha Kala - completed their terms.
- However, pandemic delayed the entire selection process.
6. Formula One Italian Grand Prix 2020
- Pierre Gasly has won the Formula One Italian Grand Prix 2020 held at Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Italy.
- This is his first Grand Prix win.
- Carlos Sainz Jr. (McLaren, Spain) came second followed by Lance Stroll (Racing Point, Canada) in third place.
- Lewis Hamilton ended in 7th place after he earned a 10-second stop and go penalty.
7. Formula One Russian Grand Prix 2020
- Lewis Hamilton's quest for the all-time record of Formula 1 wins was put on hold when he was hit with penalties at the Russian Grand Prix.
- Hamilton's Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas dominated after the world champion was given a 10-second penalty for doing two illegal practice starts.
8. Former India cricketer Suresh Raina will set up cricket schools in Jammu and Kashmir to train aspiring cricketers, particularly youngsters from remote areas of the union territory,
- On the request of the Lt Governor, he agreed to set up five schools in Kashmir division and an equal number in Jammu division to train aspiring cricketers.
9. Ashleigh Barty has won Australia’s Brookwater Golf Club women’s championship
- Australian professional tennis player Ashleigh Barty has won Australia’s Brookwater Golf Club women’s championship
- She is ranked No. 1 in the world in singles by the Women's Tennis Association (WTA).
- She has won eight singles titles and ten doubles titles on the WTA Tour, including one Grand Slam singles title at 2019 French Open
- She had withdrawn from participating in US Open and French Open due to COVID-19
- She also played for Australian International Women’s Cricket Team.
10. First anniversary of Fit India Movement
- Age Appropriate Fitness Protocols have been launched by PM Modi on the first anniversary of Fit India Movement.
- Age Appropriate Fitness Protocols have been released by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Ministry of Health together for three age groups. They are 5 – 18, 18 – 65 and above 65.
- The Fit India Dialogue event was organized and PM Modi talked with sportspersons, fitness experts and others during the dialogue
- He talked with Virat Kohli, Ironman Triathlon winner Milind Soman, Paralympian gold medalist Devendra Jhajharia, nutrition expert Rujuta Diwekar and Afshan Ashiq, a woman footballer from J&K.
- Afshan is now the captain of Kashmir's women's football team. She coaches youngsters who aspire to become professional footballers. She represented FC Kolhapur City in the 2019 Indian Women's League football competition.
- She was clicked pelting stones at the security forces in Srinagar, three years ago.
11. Unacademy:: Official Partner -Indian Premier League
- Bengaluru-based edu-tech firm ‘Unacademy’ has been roped in as the official partner for the Indian Premier League for three seasons.
- The 13th IPL is scheduled to be held in UAE from September 19 to November 10.
- The BCCI had earlier announced fantasy gaming platform Dream11 as this year’s IPL title sponsor, replacing Chinese mobile phone company Vivo.
- IPL chairman Brijesh Patel
12. The prize money in four of the seven categories of the National Sports and Adventure Awards has been enhanced.
- The prize money for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award has been increased to 25 lakh rupees from the previous amount of 7.5 lakh rupees.
- Arjuna Award has been enhanced to 15 lakh rupees from 5 lakh.
- The Dronacharya (Lifetime) awardees, who were earlier given 5 lakh rupees will now be given 15 lakh rupees as cash prize, while Dronacharya (Regular) will be given 10 lakh instead of 5 lakh rupees per awardee.
- Dhyan Chand Awardees will be given 10 lakh rupees instead of 5 lakh rupees.
- The prize money for the Sports Awards was last reviewed in 2008.
13. India is planning to host BRICS Games 2021, which will be aligned with the Khelo India Games scheduled for next year.
- This announcement came after Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju attended a meeting of Sports Ministers of the BRICS nations (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa).
- India will get the chairmanship of the five-nation independent international group in 2021.
- BRICS Games 2021 will be held during the same time and at the same venues as of Khelo India Games 2021 so that our players from various parts of the country who will gather for Khelo India Games will have the benefit of witnessing BRICS Games from close quarters.
14. Sophia Popov has become the first female golfer from Germany to win the Women's British Open.
- It completed one of the most unlikely wins in the tournament's history. Popov is ranked No. 304 and dropped off the LPGA ( Ladies Professional Golf Association )Tour last year.
- The prize, $675,000, was more than six times her career earnings
- Popov had never won a senior professional event. She lost her card on the L.P.G.A. Tour at the end of last year
15. Poulomi Ghatak, one of the most successful names in women’s table tennis has announced her retirement.
- Poulomi was the biggest name in women’s table tennis in the last couple of decades and could have easily equalled the record of winning eight titles, which is currently held by Indu Puri.
- Poulomi has now joined forces with her husband, former national champion Soumyadip Roy, to turn their academy into a centre of excellence.
16. Track and field coach Purushotham Rai, who only a few days ago was selected for the Dronacharya Award (lifetime category), passed away due to a heart attack.
- He was 79.
- Rai was due to receive the prestigious award from President Ram Nath Kovind in a virtual ceremony on National Sports Day.
- He accompanied the Indian team as coach for the 1987 World Athletics Championship, 1988 Asian Track and Field Championships and 1999 SAF Games.
- Rai served as coach at Services, Department of Youth Empowerment & Sports, and Sports Authority of India.
17. Lewis Hamilton has won the British Grand Prix despite a puncture on the last lap to clinch an 87th career win and move within four of Michael Schumacher's Formula One record.
- The championship leader's record-extending seventh Silverstone win saw him finish six seconds ahead of Red Bull's Max Verstappen, who unexpectedly moved up a place after Hamilton's Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas sustained a puncture with three laps left.
18. India’s KN Ananthapadmanabhan has been included in ICC’s international panel of umpires following compatriot Nitin Menon’s promotion to the elite panel.
- The former Kerala spinner will join fellow Indians C Shamshuddin, Anil Chaudhary, and Virender Sharma in the international panel and is now eligible to officiate in the ODI and T20 Internationals apart from junior World Cup.
- The 50-year-old has officiated in all major domestic events including the IPL.
- He also officiated in the latest Ranji Trophy final between Bengal and Saurashtra and even stood at both ends for a while after Shamshuddin got injured.
19. The INOX Group will be the official sponsor of the Indian team for the rescheduled Tokyo Olympics.
- The Tokyo Olympics was rescheduled to next year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- It will be held from July 23 to August 8 in 2021.
- The Group will also support the team’s promotions through its entertainment company - INOX Leisure Limited, which owns a chain of multiplexes in the country.
- “The INOX Group has always assigned priority to India’s all-round progress.
- IOA secretary general Rajeev Mehta
20. Lewis Hamilton has won the Spanish Grand Prix to extend his lead in the Formula One world championship.
- Max Verstappen is at the second and Valtteri Bottas is at the third place.
- It marked Hamilton's 88th career win, moving him to within only three of Michael Schumacher's all-time record.
- Hamilton could match the German at Ferrari's 1,000th Grand Prix in Mugello next month.
21. Indian judoka Deepanshu Balayan has been handed a 22-month suspension by NADA's Anti Doping Disciplinary Panel (ADDP) for the consumption of prohibited substance Furosemide, which is a diuretic medicine.
- Balayan had tested positive for the banned substance after his sample was collected during trials held in Bhopal in June last year to select the national team for the junior Asian Judo Championship.
- He had won the trials in the 90kg category.
- Since NADA failed to establish that Balayan's dope offense was intentional.
22. Legendary South African all-rounder Jaques Kallis, Pakistan batting great Zaheer Abbas and Pune-born former Australian captain Lisa Sthalekar were inducted into the International Cricket Council’s Hall of Fame in a virtual ceremony.
- Kallis represented South Africa in 166 Tests, 328 ODIs and 25 T20s between 1995 and 2014.
- The 44-year-old is Proteas’ highest run-getter in Tests and ODIs with 13289 and 11579 runs respectively. He also picked up 292 and 273 wickets in Tests and ODIs as a fast bowler.
- Kallis is the fourth South African player to be inducted into the Hall of Fame and Abbas the sixth from Pakistan.
- Sthalekar is the 27th from Australia and the ninth woman player in the list, which includes five from her country.
23. RAJIV GANDHI KHEL RATNA AWARD is being conferred for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four years.
The awardees of 2020 are:
- Shri Rohit Sharma (Cricket)
- Shri Mariyappan T. (Para Athletics)
- Ms. Manika Batra(Table Tennis)
- Ms. Vinesh(Wrestling)
- Ms. Rani( Hockey)
24. ARJUNA AWARD is being conferred for consistent outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four years.
- This year 27 sportspersons have been selected for the Arjuna Award for consistent outstanding performance for four years
25. DRONACHARYA AWARD is being conferred to coaches for producing medal winners at prestigious international sports events.
- In Life-Time Category, Dronacharya Award will be given to Dharmendra Tiwary for Archery, Purushotham Rai for Athletics, Shiv Singh for Boxing, Romesh Pathania for Hockey, Krishan Kumar Hooda for Kabaddi, Vijay Bhalchandra Munishwar for Para Powerlifting, Naresh Kumar for Tennis and Om Parkash Dahiya for Wrestling
- In Regular Category, Dronacharya Award will be given to Jude Felix Sebastian for Hockey, Yogesh Malviya for Mallakhamb, Jaspal Rana for Shooting, Kuldeep Kumar Handoo for Wushu and Gaurav Khanna for Para Badminton.
26. Fantasy gaming platform Dream11 has won the IPL title sponsorship rights with a bid of 222 crore rupees.
- IPL Chairman Brijesh Patel has informed that the deal will be valid for four and a half months, ending December 2020.
- Dream11 will replace VIVO after the Chinese mobile phone maker suspended its deal owing to a border stand-off between India and China.
- Two education technology companies, BYJUs and Unacademy were also in the race with bids of 201 crore and 170 crore rupees respectively.