HCS Topic Wise Yearly Current Affairs: Obituaries 2020
- Based on latest Pattern
- English Medium eBooks
HCS Last One Year Topic Wise Current Affairs: Obituaries
Haryana Civil Services Exam
CURRENT AFFAIRS YEARLY 2020
Last one-year Current Affairs For HCS Exam: Obituaries
1. Former Gujarat Chief Minister Keshubhai Patel passed away.
- He was 92. He passed away reportedly due to cardiac arrest.
- Keshubhai Patel was Gujarat's CM from March 1995 to October 1995 and from March 1998 to October 2001.
- He was a senior BJP leader in the state until he resigned from the party in 2012 to launch a new political outfit named 'Gujarat Parivartan Party' to contest the polls.
- While Patel had recovered from Covid-19 last month, he also suffered from prostate cancer
2. Samsung Chairman Lee Kun-hee passed away after lying incapacitated in a hospital for more than half a decade.
- He was the richest person in South Korea, according to Forbes, with a net worth of nearly $21bn (£16bn).
3. Former Home Minister and Member of Legislative Council N Narasimha Reddy passed away.
- The 86-year-old, a founder leader of the ruling Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), was the first Home Minister of the state post its formation between 2014 and 2018.
4. Wing Commander (retd) Vijaylakshmi Ramanan, the first woman officer of the Indian Air Force (IAF), passed away -She died due to age-related ailments; she was 96.
- Her husband, Wing Commander (retd) KV Ramanan had passed away in 1971.
- They were the first couple of the IAF, but we lost my father-in-law very early to cancer.
- Vijayalakshmi had also designed the IAF uniform for women
- Vijayalakshmi joined the Madras Medical College for MBBS in 1943.
- She was awarded the best outgoing student in 1948 and was a recipient of the Balfour memorial medal for Medicine and prize for Surgery by Madras University.
5. Mexican scientist Mario Molina, who became his country's first winner of the Nobel Prize for Chemistry for his work on the threat to the ozone layer from chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), has passed away at the age of 77.
- In 2008, he was appointed a scientific adviser to U.S. President Barack Obama
6. Renowned Malayalam poet and Jnanpith laureate Mahakavi Akkitham Achuthan Namboothiri passed away due to age-related ailments
- Recently, he was conferred with the Jnanpith Award, the highest literary award in the country, at a special function held at his house at Kumaranallur in Palakkad district.
- His work Balidarshanam won the State and Central Sahitya Akademi Awards in 1972-73.
- He was awarded Padmashri in 2017.
7. Kuwait's Emir, Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmed al-Sabah, has died at the age of 91
- His 83-year-old half-brother, Crown Prince Sheikh Nawaf al-Ahmed al-Sabah, has been sworn-in as the new emir.
- In July, Sheikh Sabah was flown to the United States for medical treatment following surgery for an unspecified condition in Kuwait that month.
- He had ruled the oil-rich Gulf Arab state since 2006 and had overseen its foreign policy for more than 50 years.
8. Nagaland’s environment minister, C M Chang passed away due to COVID-19.
- He was a retired IAS officer and former Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha (2009-13).
- He was elected to the Nagaland Legislative Assembly from 51 Noksen constituencies under Tuensang district in 2013 and later retained the same seat in 2018 on Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP) ticket.
9. The supreme head of the Malankara Mar Thoma Syrian Church, Joseph Mar Thoma, passed away He was 89.
- He was suffering from pancreatic cancer.
- He was ordained as Ramban in January 1975 and was ordained and given the episcopal title of Joseph Mar Irenaeus a month later. He was designated as suffragan metropolitan on 15 March 1999, when Philipose Mar Chrysostom, the suffragan metropolitan, was designated as the officiating metropolitan.
10. India's first Oscar winner Costume designer Bhanu Athaiya passed away after a prolonged illness. She was 91.
- Athaiya won an Oscar for her work in the 1983 epic film “Gandhi”
- She jointly won the Academy Award for Best Costume Design with John Mollo, for Richard Attenborough's “Gandhi”.
- In 2012, Athaiya returned her Oscar to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for safekeeping.
11. Former Nagaland Governor, CBI chief, and Ex-DGP of Himachal Pradesh Ashwani Kumar has allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself at his residence in Brockhorst in Shimla.
- Sources said that he was under depression for some time. Teams of police and doctors from IGMC have rushed to the spot.
- SP Shimla Mohit Chawla confirmed the incident and said that it was sad and shocking news as he was a role model for police officers.
12. Afghanistan's top-order batsman, Najeeb Tarakai, passed away.
- He was only 29-year-old. He met with a tragic road accident.
- He also played 12 T20Is and one ODI for his country.
- The right-handed batsman made his international debut at the 2014 T20 World Cup in Bangladesh. His highest international score was 90 which came against Ireland in a T20 International series in March 2017.
- Tarakai's last international appearance was in September 2019 against Bangladesh.
13. Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, and President of Lok Janshakti Party, Ram Vilas Paswan, passed away at the age of 74.
- He was suffering from critical illness with multiple organ complications.
- He was elected eight times as a Lok Sabha member.
- In 2000, he formed the Lok Janshakti Party (LJP).
- He had previously served as the Minister of Chemicals and Fertilizers and Minister of Steel.
14. The former President Pranab Mukherjee passed away
- The former President Pranab Mukherjee passed away at 84 after testing positive for COVID-19.
- The Government of India has announced seven-day state mourning.
- He had served as the 13th President of India between 2012 and 2017.
- He served as the senior leader of the Indian National Congress.
- He had served as the Union Finance Minister between 2009 and 2012.
- In 2019, he was awarded with the highest civilian honour, the Bharat Ratna by President Ram Nath Kovind.
- Mr Mukherjee served as the Finance Minister for the first time in 1982-84. Also, he was nominated as the leader of Rajya Sabha in 1980. He was one of the most trusted ministers of Smt Indira Gandhi.
- He was appointed as the head of the Planning Commission in 1991. He served as a foreign minister in 1995.
15. India’s first female cardiologist, Dr. SI Padmavati, passed away
- India’s first female cardiologist, Dr. SI Padmavati, (Dr. Padmavati Sivaramakrishna Iyer) passed away due to Covid-19. She was 103.
- She was known as the ‘Godmother of Cardiology’.
16. The shortest-serving Governor of the Reserve Bank of IndiaReserve Bank of India's (RBI) Governor Amitabha Ghosh, passed away at the age of 90.
- Ghosh had the shortest stint of only 21 days, as RBI governor, from January 15, 1985, to February 4, 1985, which was a stop-gap arrangement while Ghosh was serving as a deputy governor and waiting to hand over charge to the 17th RBI Governor R N Malhotra.
- After handing over the charge, Ghosh returned to his position as deputy governor.
17. Former Union Minister Jaswant Singh passed away in New Delhi.
- One of the founding members of BJP; Jaswant Singh served as Minister of Defence, External Affairs, and Finance and also Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission.
- He was elected to the Lok Sabha four times and to Rajya Sabha five times and served as Leader of Opposition in the Upper House.
- He was NDA's nominee in the Vice Presidential election in 2012.
- He first served as the finance minister in the short-lived Atal Bihari Vajpayee government in 1996. He was appointed as external affairs minister in the next Vajpayee-led government (1998-2002).
- He was also the defense minister following the resignation of George Fernandes after the latter's name appeared in a defense scam.
18. Father of India’s Radio Astronomy, Prof Govind Swarup passed away.
- Father of India’s Radio Astronomy, Prof Govind Swarup passed away. He was the founding director of the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics of Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.
- He is well known for his many important research contributions in several areas of astronomy and astrophysics.
19. Eminent economist Isher Judge Ahluwalia (74), a recipient of India's third-highest civilian award Padma Bhushan, passed away.
- Last month, she had stepped down as chairman of the Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER) due to her declining health.
19. Former Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Dr. Sekhar Basu (68) passed away due to COVID-19.
- He has served as Secretary to the Government of India, Department of Atomic Energy and as Director, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).
- The government awarded him with Padma Shri in 2014.
20. Former Arunachal Pradesh Governor Ramachandra Dattatraya Pradhan (R.D.Pradhan) passed away at the age of 92 in Mumbai.
- He has served positions in Gujarat, Maharashtra also.
- He has held the position of Home Secretary & Chief Secretary of Maharashtra.Governor of Arunachal Pradesh – March 1987 – March 1990.
- Home Secretary of India – January 1985 – June 1986.
- R D Pradhan is a recipient of Padma Bhushan, the third highest civilian award of India in 1987.
21. Legendary Indian classical vocalist Pandit Jasraj has passed away recently.
- He was 90.
- Pandit Jasraj, who belonged to the Mewati Gharana
- The musical career of Pandit Jasraj spanned over eight decades.
- He was honoured with Padma Shri in 1975, Padma Bhushan in 1990 and Padma Vibhushan in 2000.
- He was given the Sangeet Natak Academy award in 1987.
- Pandit Jasraj has also lent vocals to Oscar winning movie 'Life of Pi'.
22. Benjamin Mkapa, the third president of Tanzania and the leader of the country during a crucial period of democratic transition passed away.
- Mr. Mkapa was the president of Tanzania from November 1995 to December 2005 and was the first leader elected after the return of multiparty politics in 1992.
- During his tenure, he played a central role in helping the country transition from a socialist system of development — popularly known as ujamaa — into a free-market economy.
23. Madhya Pradesh Governor Lalji Tandon passed away at the age of 85.
- Tandon had been hospitalised in Lucknow in June with breathing problems and fever. He was put on ventilator support on June 11.
- He played a key role in strengthening the BJP in Uttar Pradesh.
- Tandon served in the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Council for two terms; as an MLA in the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly for three terms; as MP in the 15th Lok Sabha; and Governor of Bihar and Madhya Pradesh.
- On 20 July 2019, Tandon was appointed as the 22nd Governor of Madhya Pradesh, replacing Anandiben Patel
- President Ram Nath Kovind had assigned Uttar Pradesh Governor Anandiben Patel additional charge of Madhya Pradesh.
24. Chhattisgarh's first Chief Minister Ajit Pramod Kumar Jogi passed away at the age of 74 years.
- At present, Shri Jogi was MLA from Marwahi constituency.
- He became the first Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh in November 2000, when the new state was carved out of Madhya Pradesh.
- He remained as Chief minister till December 2003 when congress lost power to BJP in the state's maiden assembly elections.
- About 4 years ago, Shri Jogi quit the Congress in June 2016 and floated a new regional party Janta Congress Chhattisgarh.
- His party won 5 assembly seats in the last assembly elections held in 2018.
25. Footballer Chuni Goswami (82) passed away after suffering a cardiac arrest.
- India won gold in Asian Games for the last time under his captaincy at Jakarta in 1962
- He also played for Bengal in Ranji Trophy cricket.
- For his service to Indian football, he was conferred with Arjuna Award (1963), Padma Shri (1983).
- He was conferred with Mohun Bagan Ratna in 2005.
26. Former UN Chief Javier Perez de Cuellar, who served as United Nations Secretary-General from 1981 to 1991, passed away.
- He was 100 years old.
- Perez de Cuellar notably led the world body during the Iran-Iraq war and the civil war in El Salvador.
- In 1981 he was named as the UN's fifth secretary-general - its first from Latin America - and led the international body during some of the most critical years of the Cold War between America and the Soviet Union.
27. The Eminent Punjabi Writer, Novelist, and Sahitya Academy Awardee Jaswant Singh Kanwal, passed away in his native village Dhudike, Moga district in Punjab, due to age-related illness issues.
- He was 101.
- In 1996 Jawasnt bestowed with Sahitya Academy Fellowship Award for his Book “Pakhi” (Hand Fan) and in 1998 for his Novel “Taushali Di Hanso” (Laughter of Taushali) he received the Sahitya Academy Award.
- Later in 2007, he was honored with the Sahitya Shiromani Award of the Punjab Government, on the next year Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar conferred him with the Degree of Doctor of Literature (Honoris Causa) for his contribution to Punjabi Literature.