HCS Mains Optional Subject: Civil Engineering Optional Paper 2014
- Based on latest Pattern
- English Medium eBooks
HCS Mains Civil Engineering Optional Paper 2014
Time : 3 Hours M.M. : 150
Note i) Attempt five questions. All questions carry equal marks. Question number 1 is compulsory. Answer any two questions from Part I and two questions from Part II. The parts of the same questions must be answered together and must not be interposed between answers to the questions.
ii) In case of any discrepancy in the English and Hindi versions. English version will be taken as final.
1. Attempt any four of the following: (4x7.5 = 30 Marks)
a. The shear force diagram in a statically determinate beam is shown below. Determine the loading diagram of beam.
b. Derive the expression for central deflection in a simply supported beam of length L, modulus of elasticity E, moment of inertia I carrying a uniformly distributed load of w per unit length using unit load method.
c. Plot the influence line diagrams for the beam shown below for reaction at B, shear at C and moment at C.
d. Pipes of 50 cm diameter 1800 m length, 40 cm diameter 1200 m length and 30 cm diameter 600 m length are connected in series. lf these pipes are to be replaced by an equivalent pipe of 40 cm diameter, what would be its length? Take equal friction factor for all pipes.
e. The following data are the rates of rainfall for successive 20 minutes period of a 140 minutes storm: 2.5, 2.5, 10.0, 7.5, 1.25, 1.25' 5.0 cm/hr. Taking the value of indexas 3.2 cm/hr, find out the net runoff in cm,the total rainfall and the value of Windex.
f. What is Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD)? Deduce an expression for the first stage BOD.
2. (a). Analyse the frame shown in figure below using slope deflection method. (15 Marks)
(b). Calculate moment of resistance of a reinforced concrete beam having section 200 mm x 350 mm, 6 steel bars of 20 mm diameter bars as tensile reinforcement and 2 steel bars of 12 mm diameter as compression reinforcement. Take concrete of beam as M20, steet as Fe 415, clear cover as 25 mm for both tensile/ compression reinforcement. (15 Marks)
3. (a). Explain displacement thickness, momentum thickness and energy thickness used for boundary layer separation. (15 Marks)
(b) Explain the classification of hydraulic jumps based on Froude number. (15 Marks)
4. (a) Explain the procedure of triaxial test for soil. Also discuss the uses and types of triaxial tests. (15 Marks)
(b) Explain the prestressing methods used in prestressed concrete beam. Also, discuss the losses of each method. (15 Marks)
5. (a). What should be the cross-section of most efficient trapezoidal shape for a concrete-lined canal to carry a discharge of 250 m3/s? The channel slope is 0.0004 and Manning's coefficient 'N' is 0.014. Use the side slope as 1:1. (15 Marks)
(b). How are bricks classified as per l.S. code? What are the properties associated with this classification? (15 Marks)
6. (a). Compute expected time of completion of each activity, earliest expected time for each event, and latest allowable occurrence time for each event shown in network diagram given below. (15 Marks)
(b). Explain how you will prepare the sand to be used in the rapid sand filters, from the available stock sand in case of a large water supply scheme. (15 Marks)
7. (a). Explain the reasons for the functional and physical failures of tube wells. What are the methods for reducing these failures? (15 Marks)
(b) Explain the methods and procedure used in traverse balancing. (15 Marks)