HCS Mains Optional Paper 2003: Botany Frontier IAS
- Based on latest Pattern
- English Medium eBooks
HCS Mains Optional Paper Botany 2003
HCS Mains Optional Paper 2003: In this post, we will discuss HCS mains 2003 previous year Botany optional paper.
Time: 3 hours Marks: 150
Note: Attempt five questions in all. All questions carry equal marks. Q. No.l is compulsory. Answer two questions from Part l and two questions from Part ll. The parts of the same question must be answered together and must not be interposed between answers to other questions.
1. Write critical notes on any four of the following: 4X 7.5 =30 marks
(a) One-step multiplication curve of T2 phage
(b) Development of rhizophore in Selaginella
(c) Role of Phytoalexins in disease resistance in plants
(d) Protoplast isolation and its culture
(e) Application of growth regulators in plant development
(f) Mechanism of transport of organic solution in Phloem
2. a) Describe the life-cycle of Batrachospermum
(b) Discuss the role of microbes in MEdicine.
(c) Write the causal organism, symptoms, and methods of control of black-stem rust of wheat. 30 marks
3. (a) Describe the development of the female cone of Pinus.
(b) Discuss the significance of heterospory in Pteridophytes.
(c) Explain with suitable examples the difference between embryogeny in dicotyledons and monocotyledons. 30 marks
4. (a) Write in brief the economic importance of Atropa and Cinchona
(b) Discuss the concept of various floristic regions of India
(c) Why is compositae regarded as the most highly evolved family? 30 marks
5. (a) Mention different types of Mutation? Comment upon their significance in evolution and crop improvement.
(b) What is Genetic Drift? How does gene recombination take place in populations?
(c) Write a short account on male sterility and its significance in plant breeding. 30 marks
6. (a) Photosynthesis helps in nitrogen metabolism of plants. Justify.
(b) Describe in brief the biosynthetic pathway of Gibberellin synthesis.
(c) Describe the Agrobacterium-mediated gene transfer in plants. 30 marks
7. (a) Write a short note on Endangered plants.
(b) What is the concept of Biodiversity? Explain why temperate forests are less productive than tropical forests.
(c) What are transgenic plants? Discuss their role in agriculture. 30 marks