HCS Mains: Mechanical Engineering Optional Paper 2014
- Based on latest Pattern
- English Medium eBooks
HCS Mains Mechanical Engineering Optional Paper 2014
Time : 3 Hours M.M.: 150
Note: Attempt five questions. All questions carry equal marks. Question number 1 is compulsory. Answer any two questions from part I and two questions from part II. The Parts of the same questions must be answered together and must not be interposed between answers to other questions.
In case of any discrepancy in the English and Hindi versions. The English version will be taken as final.
1. Write critical notes on any four of the following: (4 X 7 1/2= 30)
(a) Steering Gear Mechanism
(b) Allotropic forms of Pure iron
(c) Stirling Cycle with p-v and T-s diagrams
(d) Mohr's Circle
(e) Routing, Scheduling, and Dispatching
(f) Supercharging of I.C. Engines
Part - I
2. (a) What are different types of Governors. Explain Sensitiveness, Hunting, and Isochronism of Governors.
(b) Write Short notes on
3. (a) Draw the diagram of stress/strain for mild steel and Cast Iron and specify all the terminology related to stress/strain curve for mild steel.
(b) Distinguish between:
I. Resilience and Toughness
II. Malleability and Ductility
III. Endurance Life and Endurance Strength
4. (a) Draw the iron-carbon diagram and define the Eutectic and Eutectoid equation
(b) Define Natural Frequency, Resonance, Time Period, and Critical Speed of Shaft.
Find the natural frequency of the spring-mass system shown in fig below
5. (a) Explain different types of Governing of I.C.Engines. Write briefly about the Rating of S.l and C.l Engines Fuels.
(b) Derive an Expression for LMTD for a heat exchanger and what is its significance.
6. (a) i. Write the statement of Kelvin Planck and Clausius.
ii. In a steady-flow adiabatic turbine, the changes in the internal energy, enthalpy,
kinetic energy, and potential energy of the working fluid, from inlet to exit, are -100
kJ/kg, -140 kJ/kg, -10 kJ/kg, and 0 kJ/kg respectively. Find the amount of work developed by the turbine?
(b) i. Write short notes on Exergy, Entropy, Enthalpy.
ii. 85 kJ of heat is supplied to a closed system at constant volume. During the next process, the system rejects 90 kJ of heat at constant pressure while 20 kJ of work is done on it. The system is brought to the original state by an adiabatic process. The initial internal energy is 100 kJ. What is the quantity of work transfer during the process?
7. (a) Write Short notes on the following:
i. Reheating and Regeneration of the steam turbine with p-v and T-s diagram
ii. I Tonne of refrigeration and Properties of Refrigerants
iii. Vapour Absorption Refrigeration System
(b) . i. Classify the different types of Turbines and Compressors.
ii. Differentiate between Boilers Accessories and Mountings
iii. Explain Morse Test for multi-cylinder S.l. Engine.