HCS HPSC Yearly Topic Wise Current Affairs 2020: Appointments-II
- Based on latest Pattern
- English Medium eBooks
HCS Last One Year Topic Wise Current Affairs: Appointment Part-II
Haryana Civil Services Exam
CURRENT AFFAIRS YEARLY 2020
Last one-year Current Affairs For HCS Exam: Appointment Part-II
1. The government has appointed G C Murmu as the new comptroller and auditor general (CAG) of India.
- Murmu had resigned as the Lt Governor of Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The 60-year-old former IAS officer of the Gujarat cadre had on October 29 last year taken over as the first LG of the Union territory
- Murmu has replaced Rajiv Mehrishi, a 1978 batch IAS officer of the Rajasthan cadre, as the CAG.
2. Pramod Bhasin has been appointed as a new Chairman of Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (ICRIER).
- He is currently the vice-chair of the board of governors at ICRIER.
- He will replace Isher Judge Ahluwalia, who has stepped down due to health reasons.
- Isher had been in this position for 15 years. She will continue as chairperson emeritus, a position specially created to honor her exceptional contributions to the Council.
3. The central government has appointed Ashwani Bhatia as the Managing director (MD) of the State Bank of India (SBI).
- Bhatia has been appointed as the managing director up to the date of his superannuation that is May 31, 2022
- Bhatia is currently working as the managing director and chief executive officer at SBI Mutual Fund.
4. Former finance secretary Rajiv Kumar has been appointed new election commissioner.
- He will replace Ashok Lavasa, who resigned earlier this week.
- Ashok Lavasa has been appointed the vice-president Asian Development Bank (ADB). He will succeed Diwakar Gupta
- Mr Kumar will take charge the day Mr Lavasa leaves his office on August 31.
5. Rakesh Asthana has been appointed as the Director General of Border Security Force, BSF.
- He will be in the post up to 31st July, 2021, the date of his superannuation.
- Mr Asthana is at present working as the Director General of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security, BCAS.
- He will continue to hold the additional charge of DG, Narcotics Control Bureau.
6. The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has appointed GP Garg as Executive Director.
- Prior to this, he was Chief General Manager in Sebi and has handled several assignments since joining in January 1994.
- He has been closely associated with Sebi’s initiatives on financial literacy and investor education in the country.
7. Soma Mondal has been selected by the Public Enterprises Selection Board as the next chairman of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
- She will be taking charge when the present Chairman Anil Chaudhary
- Mondal took over as Director (Commercial) of SAIL in September 2018.
- Prior to this, she was Director (Commercial), NALCO, Bhubaneswar which was history in making as was NALCO’s first-ever female director.
8. The board of governors of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), elected Jin Liqun for a second term as President.
- His second five-year term will begin on January 16, 2021.
- Liqun was re-elected as President during the 2020 AIIB Annual Meeting. The board of governors also approved the United Arab Emirates to host the 2021 AIIB Annual Meeting, which will take place October 27-28, 2021, in Dubai.
- Under President Jin’s leadership, AIIB has grown from 57 founding members to over 100 approved members from around the world. To date, AIIB has approved upto $ 19.6 billion for 87 projects in 24 economies.
9. Sumit Deb appointed CMD of NMDC (National Mineral Development Corporation)
- Deb has been appointed as CMD of NMDC Limited till the date of his superannuation i.e. February 28, 2023, or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
- Currently, Baijendra Kumar (IAS) is serving as the CMD but he set to superannuate on July 31.
- Currently, Dev is serving as Director (Personnel) in the steel ministry PSU.
10. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has appointed Ashok Lavasa as its Vice-President for Private Sector Operations and Public-Private Partnerships, who is currently serving as one of the Election Commissioners of India(since January 2018).
- He will succeed Diwakar Gupta, whose term will end on 31 August 2020.
- He is a retired 1980 batch IAS officer of the Haryana cadre. He was born on 21st October 1957.
11. Hemang Amin, the Chief Operating Officer of the Indian Premier League, has been appointed interim chief executive officer (CEO) of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
Johri’s resignation has been accepted by the BCCI office-bearers, although a couple of members of the apex council were not even informed about it.
12. Jayant Krishna has been appointed as the new Chief Executive Officer(CEO) of UKIBC
- He will be first India based CEO of UKIBC.
- He will assume office from 3rd August 2020 succeeding the current CEO Richard Heald.
- Jayant Krishna was the CEO of the Skill India Mission of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and led various initiative programs.
- He was the Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer of the National Skill Development Corporation(NSDC).
- He played a major role in the Tata Consultancy Services(TCS) during his association with Tata Groups for more than 20 years.
13. The Appointments Committee of the Union Cabinet has approved the re-appointment of senior advocate Tushar Mehta as Solicitor General for a period of three years.
- Senior advocate Pinky Anand and A.N.S. Nadkarni have been dropped as Additional Solicitors General.
- The Appointments Committee has also appointed new ASGs for the Supreme Court for a period of 3 years. They are Balbir Singh, Suryaprakash V. Raju, N. Venkataraman, Jayant K. Sud, Aishwarya Bhati and Rupinder Singh Suri.
14. Indra Mani Pandey, an IFS officer of 1990 batch and presently additional secretary in the MEA, will be the next ambassador/permanent representative of India to the UN and other international organisations in Geneva, including WHO and UN Human Rights Council where Pakistan has sought to target India for the reorganisation of J&K.
- Pandey succeeds Rajiv K Chander in Geneva.
- In his nearly three-decade career, Pandey served in Indian missions in Damascus, Cairo, Islamabad, Kabul, Muscat and Geneva.
15. The Modi administration has appointed former Corporate Affairs Secretary Injeti Srinivas as chairman of newly created International Financial Services Centre Authority (IFSCA) for three years.
- Mr. Srinivas was a 1983 batch IAS officer who superannuated as Secretary, Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- IFSCA, a unified body to regulate all financial services in International Financial Services Centres (IFSCs) with its headquarters in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
16. Shrikant Madhav Vaidya took charge as the new chairman of Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.(IOCL).
- Prior to his elevation, Vaidya was the Director (Refineries) on the IOC Board, since October 2019.
- He succeeds Sanjiv Singh, who has superannuated from the services of the Corporation on June 30.
17. Deputy Chairman Imran Khwaja will take charge as interim chairman until the next chairman is elected.
- Shashank Manohar stepped down as International Cricket Council(ICC) chairman after his two 2 year tenure(4 years). He is the first independent chairman.
- His tenure ended on July 1, 2020.
- Imran Khwaja was elected as ICC’s deputy chairman in 2017.
18. Senior bureaucrat Arun Singhal has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- Singhal, a 1987-batch IAS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre, is at present Special Secretary in the Department of Health and Family Welfare.
- Singhal is special secretary, department of health and family welfare. He will succeed GSG Ayyangar who was briefly appointed as the CEO of the food regulator.
- The move comes after former FSSAI chief Pawan Agarwal, who was recently appointed as special secretary logistics, after a brief stint as consumers affairs secretary, moved out of the role earlier this year.
19. Kathy Lueders has been appointed as the new Associate Administrator of Human Exploration and Operations (HEO) Mission Directorate.
- With this, she becomes the first female to head the human space flight program of NASA. Lueders has been assisting NASA in sending astronauts to space since 2014 on private spacecraft.
20. KK Venugopal has agreed to continue as attorney general for India for one more year, declining the government’s offer of a full three-year term after his first term ends on June 30.
- Venugopal, who was appointed attorney general on June 30, 2017, during the Modi government’s first term, will turn 89 and will become the oldest senior advocate to hold the post.
- Renowned jurist MC Setalvad was India’s first attorney general, and had the longest tenure from 1950 to 1963.
21. Nikhil Rathi, Indian-origin Chief of the London Stock Exchange, has been appointed as CEO to UK’s financial regulator
- UK Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak has appointed Nikhil Rathi as the new chief executive of the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority.
- He had been chosen after a thorough worldwide search for the important role at the conduct regulator for the UK’s financial markets and over 59,000 financial services firms.
22. Laurent Boquillet has been appointed as the Head of Global Development in World Athletics.
- World Athletics has mentioned that the global search to fill out the new position was conducted in January 2020.
- The new position of Head of Global Development supports the body’s vision which is ‘to use the power and accessibility of athletics and our athletes to create a healthier and fitter world.
23. Senior bureaucrat Rajeev Topno, private secretary to the Prime Minister, has been appointed as senior advisor to the Executive Director (ED), World Bank,
- Topno is a 1996 batch IAS officer of Gujarat cadre.
- Senior IAS officer Ravi Kota will be Minister (Economic) at the Indian embassy in Washington.
24. Former Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Urjit Patel has been appointed as the Chairman of the New Delhi Based economic think tank National Institute of Public Finance and Policy (NIPFP) for a period of four years.
- In December 2018, citing personal reasons, the former RBI governor had resigned from his post, with nine months still remaining in his term.
- Patel's three-year term was to end in September 2019 and he was eligible for a second term like most of his successors.
- The NIPFP was set up as an autonomous society registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 at, the joint initiative of the Union Finance Ministry, the erstwhile Planning Commission, many state governments and academicians, according to its website.
25. Brajendra Navnit, a 1999-batch IAS officer, has been appointed Ambassador and Permanent Representative of India to the World Trade Organisation for a period of three years.
- Navnit, who recently completed his tenure as Joint Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office, belongs to the Tamil Nadu cadre.
- He replaces JS Deepak at the PMI, whose two-year extended term ended on May 31.
- Anwar Hussain Shaik is the new Counsellor at the Permanent Mission of India at the WTO.