HCS Exam Yearly Current Affairs: Topic Wise 2020 Miscellaneous-II
- Based on latest Pattern
- English Medium eBooks
HCS Last One Year Topic Wise Current Affairs: Miscellaneous Part-II
Haryana Civil Services Exam
CURRENT AFFAIRS YEARLY 2020
Last one-year Current Affairs For HCS Exam: Miscellaneous Part-II
1. India’s first women-led manure cooperative society, Mujkuva Sakhi Khad Sahakari Mandli, was granted NDDB’s trademark “Sudhan”.
- Mujkuva Sakhi Khad Sahakari Mandli of Anand district was granted Sudhan for making bio slurry-based organic fertilizers.
- Mujkuva Sakhi Khad Sahakari Mandli will now process slurry and manufacture organic fertilizer.
- NDDB will also support two such projects in Begusarai, Bihar, and Cuttack, Odisha.
- Under the Manure Management Initiative, dairy farmers put biogas plants in their backyard and use them to produce gas, used as cooking fuel.
- Biogas plants also produce bio-slurry. Farmers use this bio-slurry in their fields. Surplus bio-slurry is sold to other farmers or converted to organic fertilizers.
2. Union Minister Nitin Gadkari has launched the first blasting for construction-related work at the Zojila tunnel that will provide all-year connectivity between Srinagar valley and Leh.
- Blasting means blowing up or breaking apart something solid with explosives
- The 14.15 Km long tunnel links Srinagar valley (Kashmir)and Leh (Ladakh plateau) through Drass and Kargil on NH-1.
- The project will reduce the travel time between Srinagar and Leh to 15 minutes from the current 3.5 hours by providing all-weather connectivity to the region.
- Zojila Pass tunnel will be Asia’s longest 2-lane bi-directional pass.
3. The red cherry pepper chili of Sikkim which is locally known as the “Dalle Khursani” has earned the geographical indication (GI) tag from the Union department of Industry promotion and internal trade.
- Notably, it is considered one of the hottest chili in the world.
- Dalle Khursani has been included in the GI Registry of the Government of India on the basis of an application filed by the North Eastern Regional Agricultural Marketing Corporation Limited (Neramac) on behalf of Sikkim.
- It is to be mentioned that the largest manufacturer of Dalle Khursani products is the state government-owned Sikkim Supreme.
4. The United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) conferred 'Special Consultative Status' on the Puttaparthi-based Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust.
- The special consultative status conferred on Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust enables it to actively engage with ECOSOC and its subsidiary bodies as well as with the United Nations Secretariat, programs, and agencies in several ways.
- ECOSOC is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations that serves as the central forum for discussing international economic and social issues and formulating policy recommendations addressed to member states and the United Nations system.
5. Union Minister of State for Shipping (I/C) and Chemical & Fertilizers Shri Mansukh Mandaviya virtually launched the diamond jubilee celebration of Shipping Corporation of India, on October 2 (the occasion of its foundation day).
- Shri Mansukh Mandaviya unveiled the logo of diamond jubilee celebrations of Shipping Corporation of India(SCI), which has been created by an SCI employee.
- The minister also awarded the winners of various competitions, organized as part of the celebration.
6. “Skinks of India” is a recent publication by the Zoological Survey of India (ZSI).
- India is home to 62 species of skinks and about 57% of all the skinks found in India (33 species) are endemic.
- They are found in all kinds of habitats in the country, from the Himalayas to the coasts and from dense forests to the deserts.
- With 1,602 species of skinks across the world, making it the largest family of lizards, their occurrence in India is less than 4 % of the global diversity.
- With long bodies, relatively small or no legs, no pronounced neck, and glossy scales, skinks are common reptiles.
7. The first newspaper for kids, “The Young Minds”
- Two Guwahati-based women entrepreneurs Neelam Sethia and Neha Bajaj have launched a newspaper specifically designed for kids
- The newspaper “The Young Minds”, will cater to kids of 4-14 years of age.
- This weekly newspaper will include content that will help engage children in activities such as games, puzzles, riddles, fun facts and news, vocabulary, science, and maths experiments.
8. SAROD is Society for Affordable Redressal of Disputes
- The Union Minister of Shipping Manusukh Mandaviya launched a dispute redressal mechanism called SAROD Ports. SAROD is Society for Affordable Redressal of Disputes
- SAROD Saroj Port was in a place where the dispute between the port and the concessionaire working with the port was arbitrated. However, decisions were not made in a timely manner and thereby affecting the ongoing projects. Thus, this is being replaced by SAROD ports.
- It will designate an export team. Also, an expert team will address and resolve disputes that will be decimated on time. SAROD port has been established under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
9. A customized My Stamp on India’s First Anti Satellite Missile (A-SAT) was launched on the occasion of Engineers Day on September 15 in the presence of Ajit Doval, National Security Advisor (NSA).
- The stamp was released by the Department of Posts.
- Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully conducted an Anti-Satellite (A-SAT) missile test ‘Mission Shakti’ from Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Island in Odisha on 27th March 2019.
- DRDO developed A-SAT Missile successfully engaged an Indian orbiting target satellite in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) in a ‘Hit to Kill’ mode.
- The interceptor missile was a three-stage missile with two solid rocket boosters.
10. Real Mango Software-
- In a nation-wide probe, the Railway Protection Force (RPF) obstructed the use of Real Mango software.
- Real Mango software is an illegal notorious software developed for booking Tatkal tickets over the IRCTC website.
- This illegal and commonly banned software makes the complete process of Indian Rail ticket booking at a fly speed.
- The agent logs into the IRCTC server through multiple Ids.
- The software bypasses captcha code which is a major time taking process while booking the tickets over the website.
- The software also gets sync with the bank OTP with the help of a mobile app and feeds it to the requisite form to book tickets automatically.
11. Recently the Tribal Museum of Odisha aired a short film focusing on the Labor Cooperatives of the Dongria Kondh tribe, their structures, and functioning.
- Dongria Kondh is a particularly vulnerable tribal group (PVGTs) inhabiting the slopes of the Niyamgiri Hills in the Raigad and Kalahandi districts of Odisha.
- This tribe practices at least 10 types of cooperative labor sharing within its community.
12. Blue Flag beaches are considered the cleanest beaches in the world.
- On the eve of International Coastal Clean-Up Day which is celebrated across 100 countries since 1986, the Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) announced at a virtual event that for the first time eight beaches of India are recommended for the coveted International eco-label, the Blue flag certification.
- The recommendations are done by an independent National Jury composed of eminent environmentalists & scientists.
- The eight beaches are Shivrajpur in Gujarat, Ghoghla in Daman & Diu, Kasarkod and Padubidri beach in Karnataka, Kappad in Kerala, Rushikonda in Andhra Pradesh, Golden beach of Odisha, and Radhanagar beach in Andaman and Nicobar.
13. The Khadi and Village Industries Commission has appointed Sunil Sethi, Chairman of the Fashion Design Council of India, as its Advisor.
- Sethi will advise the Commission on the latest design interventions in the readymade garments segment as well as the promotion of Khadi in India and abroad.
- Sethi's appointment is for a period of one year.
- He succeeds fashion designer Ritu Beri whose term expired recently.
- Sethi comes with over four decades of experience in global merchandising, where he has contributed significantly to the growth of Indian handicrafts, design, and the textile industry, through many innovative and successful initiatives.
14. The Union Minister, Dr. Jitendra Singh has unveiled the Logo and song for the festival “Destination North East-2020” (The Emerging Delightful Destinations) through a video conference.
- The four-day event is to be formally inaugurated by Home Minister Amit Shah on September 27, 2020.
- The festival helps to familiarize people of other parts of the country with the rich unexplored potential of the North East.
- The festival will give a boost to handicrafts, handloom, organic products, and cultural troupes of the North East.
- Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha, Youth Affairs & Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju, and MoS PMO Jitendra Singh laid the foundation of Arun Jaitley Memorial Sports Complex. The late former finance minister Arun Jaitley died on 24th August 2019.
15. Center government has enhanced scholarship amount for the students of J&K under “Pragati and Saksham Scholarship Schemes
- In a significant move, the Center government has enhanced scholarship amount for the students of J&K under “Pragati and Saksham Scholarship Schemes” from Rs. 5000 per annum to Rs.50,000 per annum from the current academic year 2020-2021.
- Under the Pragati scheme, all girls of J&K belonging to families having an annual income of Rs. 8 lakh who shall be admitted in the AlCTE approved institutions for the session 2020-21 will be eligible for the scholarship.
- Under the Saksham scheme, all specially-abled students with 40 percent disability pursuing technical education at Degree or diploma level belonging to families with annual income less than Rs. 8.00 lakh would be eligible for the scholarship.
16. The Marathi language feature film ‘The Disciple’ written and directed by Mumbai-based filmmaker Chaitanya Tamhane, has bagged the prestigious award for Best Screenplay at the 77th Venice Film Festival.
17. Pulikali is a recreational folk art from the state of Kerala.
- It is performed by trained artists to entertain people on the occasion of Onam, an annual harvest festival, celebrated mainly in Kerala.
- The literal meaning of Pulikali is the ‘play of the tigers’.
- Onam (August–September) is a Hindu rice harvest festival of Kerala celebrated to commemorate King Mahabali.
- The folk art is mainly practiced in the Thrissur district of Kerala.
- It was introduced by Maharaja Rama Varma Sakthan Thampuran, the then Maharaja of Cochin.
18. The Haryana Forest Department has started aerial seeding using drones across the state on a pilot basis.
- This technique will allow plantation in sections of the Aravallis that are either difficult to access or inaccessible altogether.
- The pilot project will help determine the effectiveness of the technology and the dispersal mechanism.
- It is a technique of plantation wherein seed balls – seeds covered with a mixture of clay, compost, char, and other components – are sprayed on the ground using aerial devices, including planes, helicopters, or drones.
- Seeds balls or seed pellets are dispersed in a targeted area by the low-flying drones.
19. August 1, 2020 is Lokmanya Tilak’s 100th Punya Tithi.
- He remembered the social reformer as the one who pioneered and fought for the idea of self-rule as a birthright for every Indian.
- Lokmanya Tilak's famous slogan 'Swaraj is my birthright”
- Bal Gangadhar Tilak tirelessly contributed to help the country break free from British rule. Part of the Lal-Bal-Pal (Lala Lajpat Rai, Bal Gangadhar Tilak, and Bipin Chandra Pal) troika, Bal Gangadhar Tilak was called 'father of the Indian unrest" by British colonial rulers.
20. A three-day Loya Jirga-grand assembly has been called in Afghanistan to decide on freeing about 400 Taliban fighters convicted for serious crimes including murder and abductions.
- It is a mass national gathering that brings together representatives from the various ethnic, religious, and tribal communities in Afghanistan.
- It is a highly respected centuries-old consultative body that has been convened at times of national crisis or to settle national issues.
- According to the Afghan Constitution, a Loya Jirga is considered the highest expression of the Afghan people.
21. HDFC Bank has launched the 1st of its kind card, ‘Shaurya KGC(Kisan Gold Credit) Card’, a tri-color themed card for Indian armed forces personnel, i.e, Army, Navy, Air force and Paramilitary forces and their families.
- It will benefit over 45 lakh users.
- The product is aimed largely towards armed forces personnel from semi-urban and rural communities.
- The product is based on the Kisan Credit Card (KCC) guidelines by the government.
22. The Parsi new year is also known as Navroz. It is celebrated by the Parsi and Irani community to mark the beginning of the new year, according to the Iranian calendar.
- In Navroz, 'Nav' means new and 'Roz' means 'day'.
- The Parsi new year is commemorated by grand celebrations.
- This year Navroz is being celebrated on August 16.
- The Parsi community follows the Zoroastrianism religion. This religion was founded by Zarathustra in Persia.
- It is said that king Jamshed introduced the Parsi calendar and hence the Parsi New Year is also known as Jamshed-i-Nouroz.
23. On the occasion ‘Nuakhai Juhar’, which is one of the most ancient festivals celebrated in Odisha, Chhattisgarh, and areas of neighboring states to welcome the new crop of the season
- Nuakhai Juhar, a harvest festival welcoming the newly harvested crop of the season, was celebrated in Odisha. It is one of the most ancient festivals celebrated in Odisha to welcome new crops of the season. It is an important social festival of Western Odisha and is an agricultural festival.
- It is also called Nuakhai Parab or Nuakahi Bhetghat.
24. Health Minister Harsh Vardhan has launched an interactive video game on COVID-19 titled ‘Corona Fighters’
- Two new videos urging adherence to COVID Appropriate Behaviours has also been launched
- These video games are designed to influence the players’ actions in the real world, reminding them to take the right precautions and escape infection.
- It is a simple enjoyable medium to get a serious message across the wider public.
25. Namath Basai is the Kerala government’s unique program of teaching tribal children in their mother tongue.
- Implemented by the Samagra Siksha Kerala (SSK).
- The SSK has distributed some 50 laptops exclusively for Namath Basai. Pre-recorded classes are offered through a YouTube channel.
- It has succeeded in retaining hundreds of tribal children in their online classes by making them feel at home with the language of instruction.