HCS Exam Topic Wise Current Affairs: Appointments-IV
- Based on latest Pattern
- English Medium eBooks
HCS Last One Year Topic Wise Current Affairs: Appointment Part-IV
Haryana Civil Services Exam
CURRENT AFFAIRS YEARLY 2020
Last one-year Current Affairs For HCS Exam: Appointment Part-IV
1. Government-appointed former Chief Financial Officer & Deputy Managing Director of SBI Prashant Kumar as MD & CEO of Yes Bank.
- Former Punjab National Bank MD Sunil Mehta has become the Non-Executive Chairman.
- State Bank of India (SBI), which has a 49 % stake in Yes Bank, will nominate 2 directors & Reserve Bank could appoint one or more additional directors.
- The moratorium on Yes Bank to be lifted by March 18 which means depositors will be able to withdraw an amount without a cap. (On March 5 2020, the RBI put a moratorium on Yes Bank restricting withdrawals to Rs 50,000 per depositor till April 3.)
2. The Central government has appointed Justice (retd) Bansi Lal Bhat as the officiating Chairperson of the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT).
- The first Chairperson of NCLAT, Justice SJ Mukhopadhaya, demitted office today upon completion of his term.
- Justice Bhat will act as the officiating Chairperson of NCLAT for a period of three months with effect from March 15 or until a regular Chairperson is appointed, or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
- Presently, Justice Bansi Lal Bhat is a Member (Judicial) of NCLAT. He is a former Judge of the Jammu & Kashmir High Court.
3. Kelvin Dushnisky has been appointed chairman of the World Gold Council.
- Dushnisky succeeds David Harquail who has been chairman since 2017.
- Among other industry positions, Dushnisky is a member of the International Advisory Board of the Shanghai Gold Exchange.
- Dushnisky’s appointment comes as the dollar price of gold scales fresh highs among global concern regarding the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) virus.
- World Gold Council Hqs- London, UK
4. The government has designated the incumbent Revenue Secretary Ajay Bhushan Pandey as the new Finance Secretary.
- Pandey spent more than nine years building Aadhaar.
- On September 1, 2010, when Ajay Bhushan Pandey joined the Unique Identification Authority of India, the first Aadhaar was yet to be issued
- The government has designated him as Finance Secretary following the superannuation of Rajiv Kumar, who retired on February 29.
- He had taken over as the Union Revenue Secretary upon the superannuation of Dr. Hasmukh Adhia.
5. Indian-American Seema Verma has been appointed as one of the key members of the White House Coronavirus Task Force constituted by US President Donald Trump to combat the deadly disease.
- Trump on January 30 created the coronavirus task force to lead his administration's response to the deadly virus that emerged in China and has wreaked havoc across the globe.
- The task force is led by Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar, and is coordinated through the National Security Council.
- Seema Verma has been appointed as the Administrator for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
6. Conventions of Migratory Species has appointed ambassadors for representing species that run, fly and swim until 2023.
- Bollywood Actor Randeep Hooda has been appointed as the ambassador for species that swim (aquatic), while Australian Sacha Dench will be an ambassador for the species that fly (avian) and British biologist Ian Redmond will be the ambassador for the species that runs (terrestrial).
- The Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild animals also known as the Convention on Migratory Species (CMS) or the Bonn Convention, is an international agreement that aims to conserve migratory species within their migratory ranges.
- Headquarters- Boon, Germany.
7. Shri Debasish Panda, the Secretary, Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Finance, Government of India, New Delhi, was nominated by the central Government as a Director of the Central Board of Reserve Bank with effect from 11th March 2020.
- Debasish Panda an IAS officer of 1987-batch, Uttar Pradesh, then appointed as a Secretary, Department of Financial Services.
- Reserve Bank of India- Estb. on 1st April 1935
8. The government has appointed M Ajit Kumar as chairman of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs(CBIC)
- The new Chairman’s immediate responsibilities will comprise boosting the Goods and Services Tax (GST) revenues and deal with any important changes in customs duties which are introduced as a part of the Budget 2020
9. Ajay Patel has been elected as president of the All-India Chess Federation
- Four other people have been declared unopposed for various posts.
- Bharat Singh Chauhan as secretary, Naresh Sharma as treasurer, M Arun Singh as joint secretary and Vipnesh Bharadwaj as vice-president.
- Former Supreme Court judge Justice Fakkir Mohammed Ibrahim Kalifulla declared Ajay Patel as president for the period 2020-2023.
10. Ryan Roslansky, Senior Vice President of Linkedin will become the CEO of the company as of June 1. He is the successor of Jeff Weiner.
- Jeff Weiner became the Executive Chairman (EC) of Linkedin. He was the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of Linkedin for the past 11 years. Linkedin is the professional networking company owned by Microsoft.
- Tom Cohan, current Vice President of Marketing Solutions will replace Roslanky.
- Jeff Weiner joined Linkedin as CEO in 2008 & led it through initial public offering of stock in 2011.
- Microsoft bought Linkedin for USD (United States Dollar) 26 billion in 2016.
11. Former India all-rounder Robin Singh has appointed director of cricket of the United Arab Emirates.
- The 56-year-old’s appointment comes following the sacking of Dougie Brown as head coach.
- The Indian takes over at a time when the UAE’s national team is trying to recover from the fixing scandal that rocked their cricket last year, leading to suspension of a few senior players, including captain Mohammed Naveed, and disbanding of the selection panel.
- Without a selection committee, Brown was forced to pick the teams for the series against Scotland and the United States at home last December, and against Oman and Namibia in Muscat in January, for the World Cup League Two matches.
12. ISRO’s senior space scientist G Narayanan has been appointed as the chairman of the commercial entity of ISRO New Space India Limited
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) named him for this post because he earlier worked as deputy director at the Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC) of ISRO.
- NewSpace India Limited is a Central Public Sector Enterprise of Government of India. It was established on 6 March 2019 under the administrative control of the Department of Space, India.
13. Supratim Bandyopadhay was appointed as chairman of the PFRDA (Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority).
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved Supratim appointment for a period of 5 years from the date of assumption or till attaining the age of 65 years.
- He was the successor of Shri Pankaj Jain.
- Supratim Bandyopadhyay served as Member (Finance) in the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA).
- The PFRDA Act was passed on September 19, 2013 & notified in February 2014, to regulate the National Pension Scheme subscribed by government & private employees from organized and unorganized sectors.
14. International Business Machines Corp. (IBM) has named Arvind Krishna as chief executive officer, replacing longtime CEO Virginia Rometty.
- Krishna, 57, is currently the head of IBM’s cloud and cognitive software unit and was a principal architect of the company’s purchase of Red Hat, which was completed last year.
- Rometty, 62, will continue as executive chairman and serve through the end of the year, when she will retire after almost 40 years with the company, IBM
- Since becoming IBM’s first female CEO in 2012, Rometty had bet the company’s future on the market for hybrid cloud, which allows businesses to store data on both private and public cloud networks run by rivals such as Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Corp.’s Azure.
15. The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) has elected CA Atul Gupta as the President for the term 2020-21. CA Nihar Jambusaria is elected as the Vice President of the Institute.
- The tenure of the current President CA Prafulla P. Chhajed has expired this February.
- CA Atul Kumar Gupta has been elected as President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India for the term 2020-21 on 12th February 2020. Having served the profession for about two decades, he joined the Central Council of ICAI in 2013 wherein he remained a member for two consecutive terms, i.e. 2013-16 and 2016-19. He got elected as Vice-President in February 2019 for the term 2019-2020.