HCS 2020 Current affairs: Awards & Recognitions Part-IV
- Based on latest Pattern
- English Medium eBooks
HCS Last One Year Topic Wise Current Affairs: Awards & Recognitions Part-IV
Haryana Civil Services Exam
CURRENT AFFAIRS YEARLY 2020
Last one-year Current Affairs For HCS Exam: Awards & Recognitions Part-IV
1. Noted Hindi poet-novelist and Sahitya Akademi honouree Vinod Kumar Shukla has bagged the inaugural Mathrubhumi Book of the Year award for his translated book “Blue Is Like Blue”
- The stories in “Blue Is Like Blue”, translated into English by Arvind Krishna Mehrotra and Sara Rai, deal with common people and their daily struggles.
- His book, published under HarperCollins.
2. Kashmiri reporter Yusuf Jameel has been selected for the second edition of an award set up in the memory of journalist Gauri Lankesh.
- The inaugural “PEN Gauri Lankesh Award for Democratic Idealism” was given to cartoonist P Mahamood in September 2018.
- Jameel was given the 2019-2020 award for showing an “exemplary commitment to professional integrity and the ideals of democracy”.
- He “pioneered fearless journalism” in Jammu and Kashmir,
- Gauri Lankesh was shot dead at her home in Bengaluru on September 5, 2017.
3. Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Chairperson and Managing Director of Biocon, won Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the year 2019 (for his innovation & affordable life-saving medicines).
- Mazumdar-Shaw was named as the winner by an 8 member jury panel, led by Uday Kotak, Kotak Mahindra Bank MD, and CEO (Chief Executive Officer)
- Adi Godrej, Godrej Group Chairman was conferred the Lifetime Achievement Award.
4. Dr. Pratap Chauhan of Jiva Ayurveda wins Ayurveda Ratan Award at the European Parliament in Brussels, Belgium
- The All-Party Parliamentary Group on Traditional Medicines organized a meeting at the European Parliament in Brussels, Belgium with the objective of devising a roadmap to legalize Ayurveda in Europe and to integrate it with their healthcare systems.
- As a part of a distinguished group, Dr. Partap Chauhan discussed with his European counterparts the key strengths of authentic Indian Ayurveda in resolving the world’s need for a holistic healthcare blueprint that could potentially reduce dependency on synthetic medicines by leveraging the body’s innate ability to heal itself, which by principle is the definition of Ayurveda.
5. Famous Odia and English writer Manoj Das, 85 years old, will receive Mystic Kalinga Literary award– Indian and Global languages, during the 4th edition of the 2-day Mystic Kalinga Festival which commences in Swosti Premium, Odisha, Bhubaneswar on February 8 & 9, 2020.
- Mystic Literary award has been instituted to recognize and celebrate inspiring writers, poets, and performers.
- The Mystic Kalinga Literary Award is conferred to a person making a towering contribution to the Odia language, literature, and culture.
- The Mystic Kalinga Literary Award will carry a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh, a khadi shawl, and a certificate.
6. Sanjay Gupta, the editor-in-chief of ‘Jagran’ will be honored with the “Lokmanya Tilak National Journalism Award” for his great contribution in the field of Journalism.
- The award was instituted by the Kesari-Maratha Trust and it will be conferred to Gupta on 4th January 2019 during the 139th foundation ceremony of the ‘Kesari’ newspaper started by Lokmanya Tilak.
- This was started by Lokmanya Tilak to promote courageous and idealistic journalists.
- The award consists of Rs. 1 lakh cash prize and a memento. Earlier the award was conferred to well-known journalists such as Vir Sanghvi, N. Ram, H. K. Dua, Vinod Metha, and Siddharth Varadarajan.
7. Recently, S.Sowmya has been conferred with the Sangita Kalanidhi Award. The award is conferred by the Madras Music Academy.
- It is considered the highest award in the field of Carnatic music.
- The award comprises a gold medal and a birudu Patra (citation).
- The Music Conference held along with the All India Congress Session in Madras (1927) laid the idea of a Madras Music Academy.
- Thus it is an offshoot of INC madras session, 1927.
8. The film 1917 won the 'Best Picture-Drama’ award, Renée Zellweger won the best actress and Joaquin Phoenix won the best actor at the 77th Golden Globe Awards.
- Sam Mendes won the ‘Best Director-Film’ award and Brad Pitt won the best supporting actor in a film for ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’.
- The TV series Game of Thrones had only one nomination this year - Kit Harington in the best actor drama category- which he lost to Succession’s Brian Cox. T
- The Golden Globe Awards are annual awards that honor the best performances in Motion Pictures and Television.
9. Indian Jasbinder Bilan has won the Costa Children’s Book Award for Asha & The Spirit Bird, a tale set in the Himalayan foothills where the author was born and inspired by her late grandmother.
- Jasbinder and the winners of the other four categories – novel, first novel, biography, and poetry – who all win £3,000 will be honored on January 28.
- First novel award - The Confessions of Frannie Langton by Sara Collins
- Novel award - Middle England by Jonathan Coe
- Poetry award - Flèche by Mary Jean Chan
10. Agricultural scientist Dr. M S Swaminathan receives the first ‘Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu National Award for Excellence’ in Hyderabad from Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu
- Social worker Dr. Gutta Muniratnam receives the first ‘Muppavarapu National Award for Social Service’ in Hyderabad from Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu
- The National Award for Excellence was instituted by the Muppavarapu Foundation, while the one for Social Service was launched by the Swarna Bharat Trust, in Hyderabad.
- Prof. M.S. Swaminathan was awarded for his distinguished contributions to the field of agriculture while Dr. G Muniratnam, was awarded for his extraordinary contribution in improving the quality of people's lives through social service.