HCS 2020 Current Affairs: India's Rankng In Various Indexes-I
- Based on latest Pattern
- English Medium eBooks
HCS Last One Year Topic Wise Current Affairs: India's ranking in various indexes Part-I
Haryana Civil Services Exam
CURRENT AFFAIRS YEARLY 2020
Last one-year Current Affairs For HCS Exam: India's ranking in various indexes Part-I
1. India is placed at 77th position in the TRACE Bribery Risk Matrix 2020.
- India has achieved a score of 45 in a global list that measures business bribery risks of 2020.
- India’s rank stood 78 positions in 2019
- The list by TRACE, an anti-bribery standard setting organisation, measures business bribery risk in 194 countries, territories, and autonomous and semi-autonomous regions.But, Bhutan scored better than India and got 48th place in the list.
- North Korea, Turkmenistan, South Sudan, Venezuela and Eritrea had the highest commercial bribery risk.
- Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden and New Zealand showed the lowest bribery risk.
2. Arunachal Pradesh recorded the best sex ratio in the country while Manipur recorded the worst sex ratio, according to the 2018 report on “vital statistics of India based on the Civil Registration System”.
- Sex ratio at birth is number of females born per thousand males.
- Arunachal Pradesh recorded 1,084 females born per thousand males, followed by Nagaland (965) Mizoram (964), Kerala (963) and Karnataka (957).
- The worst was reported in Manipur (757), Lakshadweep (839) and Daman & Diu (877), Punjab (896) and Gujarat (896).
- Delhi recorded a sex ratio of 929, Haryana 914 and Jammu and Kashmir 952.
3. The World Wildlife Fund(WWF) has released the Water Risk Filter analysis report. Jaipur(45th) topped the list of Indian cities followed by Indore(75th) and Thane. Mumbai, Kolkata, and Delhi also featured on the list.
- 100 cities (home to 350 million people) are set to face the greatest rise in water risks by 2050.
- India has 30 cities on the list.
- Egypt’s Alexandria tops the list and is followed by Mecca in Saudi Arabia, China’s Tangshan, Saudi Arabia’s Dammam, and Riyadh.
- China accounts for almost half the cities.
- Dr Sejal Worah, programme director of WWF India.
4. Kerala was adjudged the best-governed state in the country while Uttar Pradesh ended at the bottom in the large states category, according to the Public Affairs Index-2020 released by the Public Affairs Centre.
- The annual report is released by the city-based not-for-profit organisation, headed by former Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chairman K Kasturirangan.
- The states were ranked on governance performance based on a composite index in the context of sustainable development.
- Four southern states, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka stood in the first four ranks in the large state category in terms of governance,
- Uttar Pradesh, Odisha and Bihar were at the bottom of the ranking, scoring negative points in the category.
- In the small state category, Goa ranked first, followed by Meghalaya and Himachal Pradesh
- Worst performers who scored negative points are Manipur, Delhi and Uttarakhand.
5. Haryana State emerged as the best state in the Anemia Mukt Bharat (AMB) Index among all the 29 states in the country.
- Haryana was ranked at the top with an AMB Index of 46.7.
- The state has also achieved 93% of immunization in the year 2019-2020 for the first time.
- Haryana is one of 11 states in the country that have achieved National Health Policy targets well before 2020.
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and UNICEF. The scheme has been launched in order to reduce the prevalence of Anemia across India. Anaemia Mukt Bharat strategy focuses on benefiting six target beneficiary groups, through six interventions and six institutional mechanisms. The programme is aimed at achieving the target of anaemia reduction under the POSHAN Abhiyan.
6. The Global hunger index has been jointly prepared by Welhunger life and Concern Worldwide.
- This year, India has been ranked 94th Out of 107 countries.
- India was ranked 103 in 2018 while India was ranked 102 in 2019
- The report ranked the countries on the basis of four indicators – undernourishment, child wasting, child stunting and child mortality.
- The report has put India under “serious category” and has given the score of 27.2.
- The child stunting rate, for age group 0-5 years, in India was reported as 37.4 %.
- Nepal has been ranked 73rd, Bangladesh has been ranked 75th while Pakistan has been ranked 88th this year.
7. Rank of India in the Global Innovation Index 2020
- India jumped four places to rank at 48th position since 2019.
- Switzerland bagged the first spot in the GII ranking followed by Sweden, the United States of America, the United Kingdom, and the Netherlands.
- The index, compiled by World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) along with Cornell University and the INSEAD business school, presents the latest global innovation trends and annual innovation ranking of 131 economies.
8. The World Bank released the annual Human Capital Index.
- India has ranked 116th position in the annual Human Capital Index.
- The human capital index includes education and health data from 174 countries. It covers 98 percent of the world population. It provides a pre-pandemic baseline on education and health.
- The theme of this year's human capital index is human capital in the time of Covid-19.
9. Global Economic Freedom Index 2020
- India has fallen 26 spots to the 105th position on the Global Economic Freedom Index 2020, according to a report released.
- Hong Kong and Singapore once again topped the index, continuing their streak as first and second-ranked, respectively.
10. Times Higher Education announced -World University Rankings, 2021
- The Times Higher Education announced the results of World University Rankings, 2021.
- In the 2021 ranking, India has recorded its highest ever number of universities to qualify Times Higher Education World University Ranking 2021.
- However, none of the Indian Universities could make it to the top 300. Around 63 universities from India have qualified for the ranking.
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru, maintained its lead as the country’s top institution in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2021.
11. Andhra Pradesh topped in the Business Reform Action Plan (BRAP) 2019 rankings
- Andhra Pradesh topped the chart among all Indian States and Union Territories in the Business Reform Action Plan (BRAP) 2019 rankings.
- Uttar Pradesh and Telangana bagged second and third positions respectively.
- The Commerce and Industry Ministry released the ranking of States and Union Territories (UTs) in terms of ease of doing business.
- The BRAP ranking aims at triggering competition among states to improve business climate in order to attract domestic and global investors.
- The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) conducts the exercise for all States and Union Territories under the Business Reform Action Plan.
12. India ranked 89th among 181 countries and it was fourth-most-at- risk in south Asia on the index, after Bangladesh, Afghanistan, and Pakistan.
- The World Risk Index (WRI) 2020 revealed that India is ‘poorly prepared’ to deal with ‘climate reality and it is prone to face. Qatar had the lowest risk (0.31) according to the global index.
13. The first all India Happiness Report covering all states and Union Territories measuring happiness across the country.
- Overall, states from the Northeast Indian region have fared well in the survey, and Mizoram has topped in the happiness rankings among all; the states and union territories in the country.
- Mizoram, Punjab, Andaman, and the Nicobar Islands are the top three in the list of states/union territories.
- Maharashtra, Delhi, and Haryana have shown the worst possible impact of COVID-19 on happiness, whereas Puducherry and Jammu and Kashmir are neutral.
- It contributes to people's happiness, the impact of COVID-19 on happiness, and insights from thought leaders.
14. As per the EASE Banking Reforms Index 2.0, Bank of Baroda has been placed at the first spot.
- State Bank of India and Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC) got 2nd and 3rd place respectively.
- The Indian Banking Association (IBA) makes EASE (Enhanced Access and Service Excellence) reform index Indian Banking Association CEO: Sunil Mehta.
15. The NITI Aayog has released the Export Preparedness Index (EPI). The think tank was partnered by the Institute of Competitiveness.
- Gujarat has topped the index followed by Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu. This is mainly because of their location near the coast.
- The other three coastal states that featured in the top ten rankings are Kerala, Odisha, and Karnataka.
- Among the landlocked states, Rajasthan was the top performer followed by Telangana and Haryana.
- In the category of Himalayan states, Uttarakhand topped the list followed by Tripura and Himachal Pradesh.
- Among the states that initiated steps to promote exports, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand topped the list.
16. Hyderabad has been ranked 16th among the “Top 20 Most Surveilled Cities globally” according to a report published by a UK-based firm Comparitech.
- Hyderabad has 3 lakh CCTV cameras while Taiyuan in China was ranked first with 4,65,255 CCTV cameras
- Through the Nenu Saitham program, Telangana installed lakhs of cameras.
- Hyderabad gained the first position in India and has a target is to install ten lakh CCTV Camera In the upcoming four years,
17. The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has recently announced that India ranks first in Organic Farming.
- India ranks ninth in terms of areas under Organic Farming.
- Sikkim was the first state in the world to become completely organic. The other states that have similar targets include Uttarakhand and Tripura.
- India has launched two schemes to assist farmers in adopting organic farming.
- Also, the Agro-Export Policy, 2018 gave simultaneous thrusts to organic farming.
18. Jamia Millia Islamia has bagged the first spot among all central universities in the country in rankings released by the ministry of education.
- Jamia topped among 40 central universities. All the universities were required to sign a tripartite MoU with MHRD (ministry of education) and UGC for continuous evaluation.
19. Bijapur district in Chhattisgarh has topped the list of aspirational districts ranked by government think-tank Niti Aayog for the February-June 2020 period.
- Ri-Bhoi (Meghalaya) and Bahraich (Uttar Pradesh) have been placed at the second and third positions respectively.
- Nawada (Bihar) has been ranked fourth and Moga (Punjab) is in fifth place.
20. India ranked 117th out of 149 countries with a score: 61.9 in the 2020 SDG (Sustainable Development Goals) Index.
- The index is topped by Sweden (84.7)
- SDGs are 17 global non-binding goals featuring 169 targets to be implemented from 2015 to 2030.
21. India was ranked eighth as regards cancer preparedness among 10 Asia-Pacific countries.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) report on “Cancer preparedness in Asia-Pacific: Progress towards universal cancer control”, sponsored by Roche, examines the findings from the EIU’s Index of Cancer Preparedness.
- The report describes the complexities of the challenge of cancer facing 10 Asia-Pacific countries — Australia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, South Korea, Thailand, and Vietnam.
22. India’s rank was unchanged at 43rd on the annual World Competitiveness Index-2020.
- In 2019, India was at the 43rd ranking. The continuous low ranking of India is mainly due to poor infrastructure and insufficient education investment.
- India had declined in taxes, real GDP growth, competition legislation, exchange rate stability.
- Singapore secured the top position in the ranking system. Denmark was at the second position, followed by Switzerland, Netherlands, Hong Kong.
23. Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, and Maharashtra have topped an index that ranked states ensuring food safety in 2019-20
- This is the second index on food safety, which FSSAI released on the occasion of World Food Safety Day with the theme "Food Safety is everyone's business
- Among the smaller states, Goa came first followed by Manipur and Meghalaya. Among Union Territories, Chandigarh, Delhi, and the Andaman Islands secured top ranks
- The State Food Safety Index ranks states on five parameters of food safety through a rigorous evaluation process every year.
24. India has secured 168 ranks in the 12th edition of the biennial Environment Performance Index (EPI Index-2020)— that measured the environmental performance of 180 countries
- The global index considered 32 indicators of environmental performance, giving a snapshot of the 10-year trends in environmental performance at the national and global levels
- The 11 countries lagging behind India were — Burundi, Haiti, Chad, Solomon Islands, Madagascar, Guinea, Côte d’Ivoir, Sierra Leone, Afghanistan, Myanmar, and Liberia.
- While Denmark has topped the list with a score of 82.5.
25. Rajasthan has topped the list of Covid-19 Management Index which was analyzed for 10 states by the Central government, including parameters such as active cases, recovered cases, and mortality rate.
- The positive cases in the state are heading towards the 10,000-mark but the graph of active cases has been constantly declining.
- The mortality rate was 2.16%, which was quite less than the national average and the recovery rate was 67.59%.
- While the doubling time of Covid-19 infection in India is 12 days, it stands at 18 days in Rajasthan.
- Despite the return of migrants in huge numbers, the infection had not spread widely in the rural areas because of micro-planning at the village and subdivision levels.